Friday, November 14, 2008

Dumping Syndrome

Well I spoke too soon. Everythings been going so well on the recovery and eating food front, I knew it was too good to be true. Today began like all other days - awaking around 11:30 AM (ok that's a little later than most days, but i have nothing to do so I am taking advantage of getting plenty of sleep!) Per recommendations from the dietitian yesterday, I began my day with 8oz of tea instead of eating right away. I was done with my tea at 12:30, which meant I could eat at 1PM. At 1 I made myself a scrambled egg and 1/2 banana mashed. I could only eat the egg. At 2:15 I drank 4 oz of water and had myself a sugar free popsicle (another recommendation from the dietitian to increase my liquids cause I am struggling with that.) At 3:15 I had a 2oz light string cheese and the banana from breakfast. I finished it all. From 4:45 - 5:30 I nursed about 6oz of water - a feat in itself as I was not feeling like drinking. At 6:15, while talking to a dear friend, I served myself some egg salad (made with light mayo - which is on the ok to eat list) which I made last night - 2 oz to be exact. Then it happened - officially at 6:48 PM - Dumping Syndrome - and yes it is as bad if not worse than it sounds. Lets give you the details on what I was given on what Dumping Syndrome is:
"Dumping syndrome occurs in many gastric bypass patients when sweet foods or foods high in fat like juice, soda, sugar sweetened beverages, cakes, cookies, and pies are eaten. The food passes too quickly into the small intestine and causes symptoms such as: nausea or queasiness, a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort, cramping, diarrhea, general weakness, profuse sweating, vomiting and heart palpitations. Most patients experience a combination of these symptoms. Usually the symptoms will subside in about an hour. Most patients find the symptoms are alleviated after they lie down for a while. Dumping syndrome is not dangerous, but it is quite unpleasant."
Sounds fun doesn't it?! Now although I didn't eat anything high in sugar, the doctor also said you can get dumping syndrome when your stomach doesn't like what you've put in it. My combination of symptoms were nausea, sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort, weakness, profuse sweating and heart palpitations. It was pure misery for, you guessed it - exactly 1 hour. Now when I would eat gluten pre-surgery I had very unpleasant side effects - i hated it - however - this was WORSE!!!! It sucked. I never want to eat egg salad again!

On happier and more pleasant notes - I had my post op appointments yesterday and I am doing really well. I've lost 17 pounds since surgery, and a total of 29.3 since my very 1st weigh in - which Dr. Lautz told me is 19.8% of my excess body weight. He says that most people lose about 60-70% of their excess body weight 1 year post op - he says I am doing well and well on my way to that goal! My incisions are healing very nicely - all 10 of them!! And I am moving well through the food stages. He'll see me again in 5 weeks for another follow-up appointment. After that appointment, I went back to the waiting area to wait for my 3:00 dietitian appointment. That took forever - the waiting I mean. Everyone was behind - thank goodness for Joy and Chip Agule (friends) to come into the waiting area for an appointment they had with a different doc - they killed much of my waiting time catching up and hearing all about Jenna in Africa!! FINALLY at 4:30 I was taken in to see Sari (the RD). She had many questions for me, and I of her. As I won't see her again for 5 weeks - I had numerous questions about traveling on Stage 3 and transitioning into Stage 4 (scheduled right smack in the middle of the National Youth ministers Convention!) I have homework before I leave for OH of going to dinner at a restaurant to test run eating out. Thankfully I am driving with Jim and Paula and that at the hotel I was able to reserve a mini fridge for the room. I will be able to bring food and shop for food to have safe foods with me all week. The last thing i would want is to have this awful Dumping Syndrome while I am away!! All in all it was a great day and lots of helpful information!

1 comment:

pflan said...

okay so we haven't heard anything since the awful dumping syndrome day... how are you doing?? Enquiring minds want to know.