Sunday, November 2, 2008

56 ounces?!

My liquid diet consists of drinking 40 ounces of carnation instant breakfast protein shakes and 16 ounces or more of clear liquids each day. Really that's only 7 eight ounce glasses in 24 hours. Most people drink more than that in one day. This is REALLY REALLY hard. I have been on this stage diet since Wednesday and although they said the first few days I wouldn't be able to drink that much I would shortly after. Well, it's Sunday night and I haven't even hit 40 ounces yet today. I have greatly increased my intake since Thursday - 26 ounces on Thursday, 29 ounces on Friday, 37 ounces on Saturday and so far 36 ounces today (and I still have one more protein shake to go.) I NEVER feel hungry... which is good in once sense... but it makes it really hard to make yourself eat. I would say that is one of my top 3 struggles so far since surgery.
1. My whole world revolves around when to eat, what to eat
2. How dependent I am on others due to my tiredness
3. My lack of feeling hunger pains/full pains

All three of these struggles intertwine with each other - they effect each other and really sometimes are the domino effect of one of them.

I literally have to set alarms on my cell phone to go off every 3 hours to tell me it's time for another protein shake. I begin my days at 8 AM. So I have shakes at 8, 11, 2, 5, and 8PM. Now in between each of these times I also must get in another 16 or more clear fluid ounces prior to bed at night. BUT, I can't drink those 30 minutes before or after I've had a protein shake. Once I begin real food I won't be able to drink 30 minutes before or after I've eaten. This can stretch the stomach too much, expand the food I am eating and cause a blockage, and/or fill me up and then I am not getting enough nutrients from lack of proper food intake. Eating 8 ounces of a protein shake takes me 1 hour. I can't drink more than 2 ounces in 15 minutes or I get really nauseous and have pain in between my shoulder blades (they say this is a sign of being full.) The 8 and 11 are typically easier to get all 8 ounces down, the 2 is good up to the last 2 ounces, the 5 is killer - usually after 4 ounces I am dying and I have yet to drink more than 2 ounces at the 8 PM. I am super tired right now too. When I wake up in the morning, I have the most energy - but within 30 minutes it's gone. The more tired I get, the more pain I seem to be in, which means the harder it is to get up and move around. Yet, I am supposed to be taking several short walks a day - I am counting walks around the house as short walks!! Today I felt like I had taken a 90 minute super intense aerobic class after my shower. I had to go downstairs to my room to get clothes, come back up stairs to the main level. I took a 5 minute rest once back upstairs, then went upstairs to the 3rd floor to the bathroom to take a shower. I took my shower (which now takes a good 10 minutes cause I can't move quickly.) After the shower then I had to dry off and get dressed, brush my hair and stuff. Then back down stairs. Whew! I was dripping in sweat and very out of breath after my shower. I can't bend over to put on socks or shoes so that's frustrating that mom or dad have to do that for me. If I recline back too far in the chair, someone has to help me up, I can't carry anything over 5 pounds, and on top of all of this, I am sleeping in the living room right now (since stairs are killer and I am up 3-5 times a night to go to the bathroom) I HAVE NO ALONE KATE TIME!!! The living room is where mom and dad hang out, and is now my "bedroom" too. I love my parents, and they are doing LOTS for me - but seriously - I need to be able to do stairs soon! lol!

I know a lot of these struggles will get better as I recover - but I like to be independent, and having to rely on others for most everything right now - that's been really hard. I do feel a little better with each day. I have finally begun to get rid of a lot of the gas from my abdomen - which makes you feel a whole lot better! I've had some great visitors (although it's crazy how tired I get after visiting for even a short amount of time!) Wonderful people calling and checking up on me, the kids texting me... it's all be great! I don't miss work, really it's not like I've left - I get daily updates anyways. But I miss the teens and the people....

Oh yeah - I've also lost 10.5 pounds since coming home from the hospital!

Time for a protein shake..... :)

3 comments:

margmor said...

Hey, try thinking of this dependency (temporary, thank God!) as a Spiritual Exercise. Ask God what He wants you to learn from the feeling of needing everyone all the time. It's just a thought...
Sorry we haven't visited you Kate!!! I'm looking around for a free hour and just can't find one lately... sheesh, I need a vacation!
Glad to hear (and keep hearing) that you're doing well. We're still praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Kate! I can't believe how hard these diets are...I didn't have any idea of what you had to do after this surgery. I hope things start to get easier... just give it time =) can't wait to see youuu and catch up! - Love Kristina

HerMajesty00 said...

Sometimes it is hard for very helpful people to rely on others for help. Allow those who care about you to take care of you!
You are doing great Kate. Hey is there a Yahoo group or support group for others who have had the surgery? It may help to talk to those who are along the same recovery path as you.