Monday, October 13, 2008

The 2 week countdown

Today began the 2 week countdown before my surgery. It also began the special "pre-operative Diet prescription." I really didn't think it was going to be that hard to follow... well I was very wrong as of today. This might be because I spent my last night with some of my favorite people celebrating a surprise 18th bday and then spent all day at the ALL TIME BEST COOK EVER's house. I did great until she started making homemade fried rice... yes I cheated - hey - it's day one!! lol!

Here's what my eating plan consists of for the next 12 days (36 hours before my surgery I go completely liquid only.):

My daily food goals are:
4 sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfasts mixed with 8 ounces of 1% milk
1 meal consisting of lean protein and vegetables
2 servings of fruit per day
64 + fluid ounces of calorie free, caffeine free fluids

Now I am also only allowed to eat certain things at certain times. Here's what Brigham and Women's recommends for a typical day:

7:00 - 7:30 AM - Breakfast - Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB)
7:30 - 9:30 AM - Calorie Free Fluid
9:30 - 10:00 AM - Snack - Apple (or 1/2 banana, 1 cup fresh pineapple, 1/2 cup applesauce)
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Calorie Free Fluid
12:00 - 12:30 PM - Lunch CIB (or light yoplait yogurt mixed with 1 scoop of protein powder)
12:30 - 2:30 PM - Calorie Free Fluid
2:30 - 3:00 PM - Snack - Orange (or any of the above listed)
3:00 - 4:00 PM - Calorie Free Fluid
4:00 - 4:30 PM - CIB
4:30 - 6:00 PM - Calorie Free Fluid
6:00 - 6:30 PM - Dinner - Consisting of:
  • 2 cups raw greens
  • 1 tomato (or 1 cup chopped veggie mix including red & green bell peppers, cucumber, onion; or 1/2 cup chopped carrots; or 1/2 cup steamed broccoli, carrots, green beans)
  • 4 ounces grilled chicken breast (or 4 ounces tuna, fish (only grilled, baked or broiled), turkey breast, or pork tenderloin, or 3 ounces of lean beef or ham)
  • 2 teaspoons oil
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar (or substitute 1 tablespoon regular salad dressing or 2 tables spoons light dressing in place of oil and vinegar)
  • herbs, salt, pepper

6:30 - 8:30 PM - Calorie Free Fluid

8:30 - 9:00 PM - CIB

9:00 PM and on - calorie free fluid

Now my days are going to be focused on when and what to eat... not like I have enough to remember every day! Brigham's does this for many reasons, and it's mandatory. Apparently it results in decreasing the size of my liver and in the fat stores in my abdomen. These changes give my surgeon more room in my abdomen to complete my surgery.

On other fronts, today was the first day that it really, I mean REALLY hit me that I am so close to my surgery. I have known it's been looming... but I think because I am actually having to change something I am doing now, it makes it that much closer. Today was the first time I actually got that slightly sinking feeling in my stomach as the nerves began to set in. I am really realizing that I really need to spend more than 5 minutes to really think, pray and process what I am very quickly to be going through. I have been so busy at work getting things set up and crossing all of my "t's" and dotting all the "i's" and with Confirmation this coming weekend, I haven't really had a whole lot of time to really think about the surgery and all the stuff that goes with it. I think a little emotional roller coaster is ahead of me... don't get me wrong - I know that this is for the best - but one can't help but have second thoughts, get nervous, ya know - freak out a little?!! I have my final appointment with my surgeon on Thursday as well as final lab work and an appointment with the admitting nurses for a complete work up. I have to start making a list of all the questions that pop into my head each day cause I know my mind will blank out when I am actually in front of my surgeon! Thank goodness my Mom is coming with me! She'll have many questions I am sure - but will also be able to hear what I might not!

1 comment:

margmor said...

Wow, it's getting so real Kate!!! My belly tickles with yours and I'm praying for you to feel peaceful through the whole process. Hey, at least you'll have all that Calorie Free Fluid to keep yourself busy with!