Monday, January 19, 2009

Travel

I am currently sitting in the Orlando International Airport waiting for my flight to begin to board. I've been here since 5:00 PM tonight. My original 6:25 PM Flight has been delayed to 8:55 PM. This now means that I will not arrive to Manchester, NH until 1:15 AM and not home until after 2:00 AM... needless to say I am tired and cranky. I've had a great weekend - and it was much too short. I plan to blog about my trip tomorrow since I have had much revalations this weekend (and some good "after" shots of me!) I would like today to blog about Airports. Traveling was always a small challenge for me before surgery with ya know my whole Gluten allergy. But I could always make do - cheeseburgers without buns, salads, yogurts, nuts, ice cream or frozen yogurt. But now it's almost impossible to eat at an airport - not to mention on a plane. I found out on the way down here that no airline serves decaf tea... now I am not suppose to have regular black tea - but my little pouch doesn't really like cold drinks right now and hot drinks seem to soothe it. I did drink the regular tea on the plane ride down - they don't give you much anyways - only about 4 ounces. And if caffeine is suppose to bother me - it didn't. Anyways, the snacks they serve on the planes too are of course a no go on this new lifestyle of mine! That didn't bother me actually - but its the "what if..." of the whole thing that does. What if I really needed to eat someting. What if we got stuck on the tarmat or something for a long time and i didn't have "pouch and gluten friendly" food? Now since I currently have been at the airport waiting for over 3 hours I've spent some time wandering around to kill time. There is basically NOTHING that I or anyone who's had GBS could eat. I mean you've got McDonalds (maybe a salad - maybe), Sbarro - no pizza for any of us GBSers, Au bo pain - again too much bread in there for anyone that's had the surgery. And finally there's Ben and Jerry's.... again - that's a definite NO! Thank goodness I packed protein bars, protein cereal, and protein powder in my carry!! Ok... we are boarding time to line up in numerical order - oh I love Southwest!! Until tomorrow....

No comments: